Long Island Solar Energy Industries Association
LISEIA CODE OF ETHICS & STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
Adopted: September, 2008
I. ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW
LISEIA is a business association of solar energy companies based, or doing business, in Long Island, NY. LISEIA members include many of the finest solar energy companies in the country. Our membership includes companies and organizations from all sectors of the solar industry, including photovoltaic (“PV”) contractors, solar thermal contractors, industry suppliers, electrical inspectors, utility company representatives, and any other individual who supports the solar industry.
The mission of LISEIA is to promote a healthy, ethical and vibrant solar industry on Long Island, which includes influencing and sponsoring wise policy for local industries and organizations, and local, state and Federal governments. In doing so, LISEIA’s firms have agreed to abide by a set of member principles.
LISEIA works to promote the use of solar energy and the development of the solar industry in Long Island, New York. Some of our various activities include:
• Representing the industry before local, state and federal regulators;
• Working with state and local renewable energy fund administrators to direct resources to solar;
• Conducting periodic member meetings, featuring informative guest speakers and creating networking opportunities for LISEIA members; and
• Hosting a web site featuring a business directory of LISEIA Member companies.
Full LISEIA Membership is open to companies that are actively engaged in the business of solar energy in Long Island, who agree to those terms outlined in the LISEIA Membership Rules & Regulations document. Notably, full members must agree to the “LISEIA Code of Ethics & Standards of Conduct, as outlined herein.
Associate membership is open to all companies, organizations, government agencies and individuals that are involved or interested in the field of solar energy.
II. CODE OF ETHICS
Among other primary goals, LISEIA is dedicated to the implementation of appropriate professional ethical standards designed to protect consumers and the profession. LISEIA Members are expected to act in an appropriate manner, which promotes the integrity of, and reflects positively on, the practitioner, LISEIA, and the renewable energy profession, consistent with accepted moral, ethical, and legal standards. From this fundamental outline of the LISEA code of ethics, stem the specific Standards of Conduct, as outlined in Section III.
As a professional in the fields of renewable and sustainable energy and energy efficiency technologies, a LISEIA Member has the obligation to:
• Deal with all clients, consumers, and other professionals and professional organizations fairly and in a timely manner;
• Provide safe and quality services to clients and consumers;
• Respect and promote the rights of clients and consumers by offering only professional services that he/she is qualified to perform, and by adequately informing clients and consumers about nature of proposed services, including any relevant concerns or risks;
• Maintain the confidentiality and privacy of all client and consumer information;
• Avoid conduct which may cause a conflict with client or others;
• Engage in moral and ethical business practices, including accurate and truthful representations concerning professional information and system performance expectations;
• Be truthful with regard to research sources, findings, and related professional activities;
• Maintain accurate and complete business and professional records;
• Respect the intellectual property and contributions of others;
• Further the professionalism of renewable energy industry services; and,
• Behave in a courteous and professional manner when communicating with other LISEIA Members.
III. LISEIA STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
The following LISEIA Ethical Standards of Conduct describe appropriate and enforceable professional practice standards, and set forth the minimal ethical standards of professional conduct for LISEIA Members. These ethical Standards of Conduct also serve as a professional resource for renewable energy industry practitioners, as well as for those served by LISEIA members, in the case of a possible ethical violation.
SECTION A: Compliance with Laws, Policies, & Rules relating to the Profession
1. A LISEIA Member will be aware of, and comply with, all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations governing the profession. The LISEIA Member will not knowingly participate in, or assist, any acts that are contrary to applicable professional laws and regulations. Lack of awareness or misunderstanding of these laws and regulations does not excuse inappropriate or unethical behavior.
2. The LISEIA Member will be aware of, and comply with, all LISEIA rules, policies, and procedures, including rules concerning the appropriate use of LISEIA Logo and the proper representation of LISEIA credentials. Lack of awareness or misunderstanding of a LISEIA rule, policy, or procedure does not excuse inappropriate or unethical behavior. The LISEIA Member will not knowingly participate in, or assist, any acts that are contrary to LISEIA rules, policies, and procedures.
3. The LISEIA Member will make all reasonable and appropriate efforts to promote compliance with, and awareness of, all applicable laws, regulations, and LISEIA rules and policies governing the profession.
4. The LISEIA Member will make all reasonable and appropriate efforts to prevent violations of applicable laws, regulations, and LISEIA rules and policies governing the profession.
5. The LISEIA Member will report possible violations of this Code of Ethics to the appropriate LISEIA representative(s).
6. The LISEIA Member will cooperate fully with LISEIA concerning the review of possible ethics violations and the collection of related information.
SECTION B: Professional Practice
1. The LISEIA Member will deliver safe, competent services in a timely manner, and will provide quality services with appropriate professional skill and competence.
2. The LISEIA Member will recognize the limitations of his/her professional ability, and will only provide and deliver professional services for which he/she is qualified. The LISEIA Member will be responsible for determining his/her own professional abilities based on his/her education, knowledge, competency, credentials, extent of practice experience in the field, and other relevant considerations.
3. The LISEIA Member will provide clients and consumers with adequate and detailed information regarding the nature of proposed services, and the related options, outcomes, risks, and concerns.
4. The LISEIA Member will use all professional resources in a technically appropriate and efficient manner.
5. The LISEIA Member will provide services based on client or consumer requests and needs, and will avoid unnecessary services. The LISEIA Member will provide services that are both appropriate and necessary to satisfying client or consumer requests and needs.
6. The LISEIA Member will exercise diligence and thoroughness in providing services, and in making professional assessments and recommendations solely for the benefit of the client or consumer. The LISEIA Member who offers his/her services to the public will not decline a client or consumer based on age, gender, race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, religious affiliation, or any other basis that would constitute unlawful discrimination.
7. The LISEIA Member will prepare and maintain all necessary, required, or otherwise appropriate records concerning his/her professional practice, including complete and accurate client and consumer services records.
8. The LISEIA Member will not entrust the responsibility to provide Professional Services to an unqualified person.
9. The LISEIA Member will not act in a manner that may compromise his/her professional judgment, performance, or obligation to deal fairly with all clients and consumers.
10. LISEIA Member will be truthful and accurate in all advertising and representations concerning professional qualifications, experience, competency, and performance of services, including representations related to professional status and/or areas of competence. The LISEIA Member will not make false or deceptive statements concerning professional or occupational training, experience, competence, ability, academic training or degrees, credentials, institutional or association affiliations, services, or fees for services.
11. The LISEIA Member will not knowingly make false or misleading statements about, or guarantees concerning, any service or the efficacy of any renewable energy system, product, or device, orally or in writing.
SECTION C: Conflict of Interest & Appearance of Impropriety
1. The LISEIA Member will not engage in conduct that may cause an actual or perceived conflict between his/her own interests and the interests of his/her client or organization. The LISEIA Member will avoid conduct that causes an appearance of impropriety.
2. LISEIA Member will act to protect the interests of the client or consumer before his/her own interests, unless such action is in conflict with any legal, ethical, or professional obligation.
3. The LISEIA Member will disclose to clients and organizations any circumstance that could be construed as a conflict of interest or an appearance of impropriety, or that could otherwise influence or interfere with the exercise of professional judgment.
4. The LISEIA Member will refrain from offering or accepting inappropriate payments, gifts, or other forms of compensation for personal gain, unless in conformity with applicable laws, regulations, and LISEIA rules and policies.
SECTION D: Compensation & Referral Disclosures
1. If responsible for setting professional fees and related costs, the LISEIA Member will charge fair, reasonable, and appropriate fees for all professional services, and will provide clients and consumers with truthful and accurate information concerning such services.
2. The LISEIA Member will charge fees that accurately reflect the services provided to the client or consumer.
3. The LISEIA Member will make all appropriate disclosures to clients and consumers and prospective clients and consumers regarding any benefit paid to others for recommending or referring his/her services.
4. The LISEIA Member will make all appropriate disclosures to clients and consumers and prospective clients and consumers regarding any benefit received for recommending or referring the services of another individual.
SECTION E: Client Confidentiality & Privacy
1. The LISEIA Member will maintain and respect the confidentiality of all client and consumer information obtained in the course of a professional relationship, unless: the information pertains to illegal activity; the client or consumer expressly directs the release of specific information; or, a court or government agency lawfully directs the release of the information.
2. The LISEIA Member will respect and maintain the privacy of his/her clients and consumers.
SECTION F: Misconduct Prohibitions
1. The LISEIA Member will not engage in any criminal misconduct relating to his/her professional activities.
2. The LISEIA Member will not engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation relating to his/her professional activities.
3. The LISEIA Member will not engage in unlawful discrimination relating to his/her professional activities.
4. The LISEIA Member will avoid any behavior that is clearly contrary to accepted moral, ethical, or legal standards, and that may compromise the integrity of, or reflect negatively on, the profession.